1.15.2008

Artsy??

I have never considered myself artistic. I can't draw worth beans, I don't have a clue how to decorate or how to put colors together (which is why my wedding was all black & white and my house is all neutral-blah) and craft projects/creative memories projects intimidate me. I am even left handed, which usually means you have more a creative side... but I must have missed that part of the package (I got all the rest, I can't even cut with my right hand!).

However, as I was cooking yesterday I was thinking about how that may be a way I am creative. I enjoy cooking, but HATE HATE HATE baking. I do not like to measure. Measuring is for the birds. I prefer the dump, sprinkle, pinch, smidgen, pour-in-whatever-I-have, sort of cooking. It is always a surprise and you don't have to remember whether you put in 3 or 4 cups of flour. I also like baking bread, which again, is not an exact science. If you add too much flour, you add more water, and visa versa.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out in being a parent. I hope this baby gets a little creative-think-outside-the-boxness, but there is precious little between the his two first-born parents. I will teach him to play piano, but it will be songs from a book, I haven't a clue how to make it up as I go. I plan to sing to my baby, but I don't see myself making up songs. Just as I see myself reading him tons of books, but I have never been able to make up a good story to save my life. I just hope he isn't scared for life. :)

Where do you fall on the creative scale?

2 comments:

Ryan said...

i don't ever remember commenting on your blog... but here goes. :)

i would consider myself to be a creative person... when put in the right circumstances. for instance... i can't create what most people would consider "art" but i do know how to make food into art... or music. and i think i'm a good problem solver, which probably requires a small amount of creativitiy. so i'd give myself 6/10 creative points. (i couldn't think of a more creative name for the measureing system)

Rachelle said...

I'm like you....Baking is too precise. Level the flour with a knife?! That's no fun. Cooking requires a lot more creativity.

I'm not in the least musical but did manage to make up a song for each of my children. Ben will sometimes walk around singing his: "My name is Michael Bennett and I am a precious boy." Babies will bring it out in you.

I love being creative; if I had a high work table (out of reach of little hands) I would keep my scrapbooking stuff out so I could work on baby books for a few minutes every day. I used to make candles but all the high heat and the destruction of my kitchen for cooking make it impossible these days.

But crafts are not for me. And I freeze up if asked to draw a stick person. Even the scrapbooking is minimalistic. I hate lots of busyness. Just like too much makeup, it can take away from the beauty of the object of focus.

So if I can consider myself creative, then you MOST certainly can.