5.02.2006

To Hell In A Handbasket

The saga of the book sale continued.

Being the good wife that I am, I accompanied my husband to his book sale. He took to scanning the fiction tables and I wandered over to the biography bookshelves. I was harmlessly looking over the titles when a older tall white man, with an afro, and a mustard colored blazer began looking (...not just looking, he was on a hunt, as if his life depended on it)... and not only was he searching but he had enlisted 4 of the 5 library book sale staff to help him find biographies of female artists (which, go figure, included Jane Fonda) and a William Shakespeare Biography (which one of the staff had said he remembered putting on the shelf). He was EXTREMELY rude, and on more than one occasion would stand directly in front of me blocking my view of the books... and he was trying to get so many at once his arms were so full that he dropped them on my foot!

Well, I was not to be put off by his behavior and continued to look for books. As I was looking I found a beautiful hardback Williams Shakespeare biography just as I heard him say to one of his library helpers "NO, I don't want that version, I need a HARDBACK copy of Shakespeare's biography!!"

Well, I bought it. Yes, I will read it, but I bought it more just to make sure he didn't get it than that I actually wanted it. Perhaps I should repent, but I don't want to.

L

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Leah, I'm laughing so hard. Did he see you walk away with it? What a meanie you are! :)

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, that guy needs to learn that a BOOK SALE - and I'm gathering this was used books - is quite often the luck of the draw.

How sad that he was such a jerk. But I think you did the right thing. :)

Anonymous said...

You go girl! ;-)

Wonder who he was. Why the urgency? Don't you just wish you knew? Sounds like some character from a book himself.

the Tyrant said...

yeah! Good for you. Seriously - a white man with a 'fro? Were you drinking that day?

Ryan said...

you should have asked him (once you had left the sale) if he wanted to buy it for 10x what you paid for it. then if he said no, you should have put it on ebay just to spite him and make him pay the shipping.