4.22.2010

Oh, this boy...


I have been meaning to post about this boy since he turned 2. Well, that was three months ago, and I am just now getting around to it. Heaven only knows how long it will take me once I add another child. :) I still can't believe that I have a 2 year old. The picture above is of Ben hiding under the cover to our grill. He was there for about 30 minutes, just hiding and playing with his ball. :)

Since turning 2 the one thing that has really stuck out to me is how his imagination has just taken off. He is constantly pretending to be some animal... well, I should clarify... it is always a small or baby animal. He never wants to be a BIG dog, or a large elephant... it is always a little doggie, or a baby giraffe etc. I will often wake him up (in the morning or from a nap), and he will look at me, then bark and sniff me from head to toe. Crazy child. :)

Everything also must have a name, from every car to every character in a book... I am quickly running out of names! And when he is pretending to be an animal he must have a name. Favorite doggie names are Pongo, Perdy, Jack, Jake, Spot, Fido & Pip. (All names of dogs in books/movies). Cats are always Misty, Mice are Gus, Pigs are Curly, Sheep are Woolly and Cows are Buttercup, Daisy or Dutchess. (Again, all movie/book characters). And heaven forbid you call him Ben when he is pretending to be something!

He pretends to drive his cars to work with daddy, or up a big hill or to grandma's house. :)


And here is a picture of Ben in the outfit Andrew brought him back from China. Too cute. :)

This child is very particular about his clothes. I thought it was just girls... but apparently not. Nothing itchy, too tight or too small. (Although he often gets his words mixed up and yesterday he told me he couldn't wear these pants because they were "too loud mommy, too loud!" :). And he is also very particular in names of things... If you ask him to take his shoes off and he is wearing sandals or crocs he will correct you.


And here is a picture from when Andrew and I cleaned out the garage a few weeks ago. One box was over an hour of entertainment. In, out, around, upside-down... so many possibilites.

And finally, I will leave you with a few of my favorite sayings of late:

"Mommy, what you saying?" Any time he doesn't understand something or I don't say it loudly enough (as in I am in another room talking to someone else) he will say (or yell depending on his proximity to me) "Mommy, what you saying???" And he won't stop until he understands.

"SLOW DOWN!!" Any time I go fast up a hill or around a curve... or if I hit my breaks a little too hard a little voice from the back seat will YELL... "SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!" Too funny!

"What that mean?" This child is on a quest for knowledge. If there is anything in a book he doesn't understand or recognize he asks. And it usually ends up something like this:

Me reading: And the groundhog went into his borrow.
Ben: What that mean?
Me: That means the groundhog went into his home in the ground, it is called a borrow.
Ben: What that mean?
Me: It means the groundhog has a home in the ground.
Ben: What that mean?

You get the idea... :)

1 comment:

Jan said...

What a fantastic child, I really like the China outfit, good pick Andrew.