Curried Couscous
1 ½ cups couscous
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 ½ cups boiling water
¼ cup plain yogurt
¼ cup good olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp curry powder
¼ tsp ground turmeric
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ cup grated (or small-diced) carrots
½ cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ cup currants
¼ cup blanched, sliced/slivered almonds
2 scallions thinly sliced (white and green part)
¼ cup purple onion
Place the couscous in a medium bowl. Melt the butter in the boiling water and pour over couscous. Cover tightly (I did plastic wrap) and allow the couscous to soak for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Wisk together the olive oil, yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. Add carrots, parsley, currants, almonds, scallions and red onions. Mix well and taste for seasoning. Serve at room temperature.
Changes I made/would make:
Add a little more olive oil and yogurt… maybe 1/3 cup… it is a little dry, especially if you add extra veggies. It needed more salt and pepper… I also added some lemon juice (like the juice from half a lemon). I replaced the parsley with cilantro… WAY more flavor. I replaced the currants with crasins. I added more almonds, carrots and cilantro, and I added tomato and would add cucumber and maybe even broccoli next time. I added a bunch more green onions, but I skipped the purple onion. So just have fun with it, you really can’t go wrong! It is SOO yummy!! (Before you serve it, make sure it isn’t too dry, I added a bunch more yogurt right before I served it.)
2 comments:
Yum! Yes, the world does need more good recipes. :-) Can't wait to try this one!
Amen to that, and thank you!! :)
Post a Comment