10.17.2007

Feeling Real

Perhaps for some people, becoming pregnant was all they needed to make the whole process feel real, and like it was really happening. Maybe because it is our first baby, maybe because I am one of those "slow, cautious, first-born types" or for some other reason under the sun, who knows, but it has not been that way for me. It has been a process of baby steps (no pun intended). Here are a few of the steps:

  • The Pregnancy Test - the first step. A big one obviously. :)
  • Seeing the first ultrasound, where baby looked like a kidney bean.
  • Seeing the baby's heart beat in the ultrasound, and hearing it.
  • Our First Baby Gift - a bib from our friends Josh & Missy.
  • Buying/wearing maternity clothes.
  • Finding Out the baby is a BOY! (This was a huge one).
  • Calling him by name.
  • Another ultrasound - seeing his hands, feet, heart, brain, face, profile, and seeing him wiggle.
  • Feeling him move.
  • Looking at Baby stuff. I went and registered for baby things on Monday night. Picking out tiny wash clothes, baby blankets and looking at tiny little clothes covered in cars and frogs made it hit home a little more.

I am sure there will be a few more steps before he arrives, but I think I can finally say it feels real, this baby IS coming, and I can't wait until we can meet him in person.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

SO excited for you. Thanks for sharing. I miss you. Congrats on it being a boy. It must be so fun having him inside you. We just had a baby shower here for our teammates who's baby could come any day now!

Rachel said...

yeah! yeah it's feeling real! yeah for cars and trucks and frogs!

Undeserving said...

I'm glad to hear the realization is setting in- You're gonna be a mom! :-) And I'm also glad to know I'm not alone in the "baby-stepping". I'm afraid half the time I'm just not comprehending the monumental life-changing meaning of it all. :-)

Anonymous said...

Just wait until you get to the "hardly can roll over in bed" stage. That makes it really real. :)
~jenna