9.02.2005

Hurricane Katrina

On Day 980...

Is it just me or is anyone else frustrated with the media and also the people in Louisiana? The media is not helping at all! They are reporting that the people don't know what to do, that they don't have food or water... but they don't do ANYTHING about it, they just continue to talk. All they can do is point fingers at the Bush Administration. (I think they expected Bush to have troops ready to go before the hurricane struck!). Do people not realize that the troops need food, water and lodging as well? What help would they be if they showed up without any equipment? Sen. Kennedy even went as far as to say that the hurricane was Bush's fault! (How has this man been elected so many times??) Not to mention the citizens! They were told to evacuate, and chose not to do it. And now they are just sitting and waiting instead of trying to get out on their own, or, as one man did, commit suicide in front of thousands of adults and children. There have even been reports of people shopping in the new Walmart (not looting, not taking what they need to survive.... shopping! looking, putting back etc.) I know that is must be devastating to be in that situation, having lost everything, but where is their will to survive, to get out and being again?

L

Wow, it's been a while since I have been on a soapbox... I kinda like it up here... but, yes... I am stepping off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm also irritated. It's SOOOO frustrating. And every time I hear "help isn't getting here fast enough!" I just want to SCREAM. we're doing the best we can!

Rachelle said...

I am so with you. It is like watching a bunch of spoiled children. Sadly, the world gets to watch this display of selfish stupidity. It was helpful to read Sara Jones's report of her hometown in MS and how they are all pitching in to help each other. The majority of New Orleans seems to have forgotten that we are responsible for our government and not our government is responsible for us. -rlr