6.01.2006

Cooking Staples

On Day 1051...

Every cook has those few ingredients that they cannot live without. They are always in the cupboard and are present in nearly every dish they make. While having my brother here it has reminded me that they way I cook and the way my mom (and by default, Ryan) cooks are very different.

I think that I cook so differently from my mom mostly because I didn't really start cooking until I had moved away and was living on my own. She taught me the basics and I have made up the rest. :) According to my mother the three things that no one can be without are:

1. Salt
2. Butter
3. Onions

In my kitchen, mushrooms, green onions and cilantro (and a host of other things) come and go, but these three remain:

1. Pepper
2. Olive Oil
3. Garlic

What are the staples in your kitchen?

9 comments:

Meredith said...

I don't have much opportunity to cook at my house for my family but I make up for it with the family that I nanny for. I'm pretty sure the staples in their kitchen are....
1.Cereal (Cinnamon LIFE)
2.Chicken Breast
3.Fresh Spinich
4.Ranch Dressing

Janice Phillips said...

EVOO!! Yippee!

Anonymous said...

1. Canned tomatoes (I prefer fresh, but they don't keep as well)
2. Onions
3. Rice
4. Black beans

AMY said...

i'm with you on the olive oil and garlic, it makes everything better. i should try to actually cook more in order to call them staples in my kitchen! haha

Sarah said...

i don't do that much cooking in my ouse, but my mom always uses garlic, wine, and of course, the EVOO.

Micah said...

Pasta
olives
mushrooms
garlic
tomatoe sauce
bread

I can always be in the mood for a quick pasta dinner :-)

And you can't forget frozen tv dinners for when you are really lazy.

Anonymous said...

oooh, good question, leah! I think it depends on the season at our house. We eat so differently depending on what is growing in the garden at the time. Have to agree with the EVOO year round!

Warm weather: onions, green onions, potatoes, and tomatoes. We use them almost everyday when available. Oh, and herbs and garlic.

Cold weather: tortillas, whatever produce looks best at the store, and whatever onions and garlic we have stored in the basement from summer, and canned tomatoes from the garden.

Anonymous said...

garlic
wine
balsamic vinegar
onions
cheese
:-)

Katie said...

-garlic
-tomatoes
-onions
-cheese
-pasta
-tortillas

the first three are the absolute necessities for me, but the others are usually there too. :-)