1.30.2006

The Chaos & The Calm

On Day 1129...

Well, chaos and calm seem to best describe our life of late. It is either one or the other, nothing in between. It all began 3 weeks ago when our secretary quit without notice, leaving a note on her desk in the middle of a busy afternoon (apparently in NC professional courtesy is not a common practice). Although it was a lot more work, I was able to just go from part-time to practically full-time, and Andrew helped on the days I thought I was going to drown in invoices. And then came last Monday... The Site superintendent for our biggest development quit (in an almost identical manner to the secretary). Leaving only 4 employees, (myself, the president, the CFO & A) A was tasked with jumping in and figuring out where all 23 houses were in the construction process and making sure that we don't fall behind. So... instead of working a combined total of 65 hours last week, we worked 98. The chaos was only worsened by traveling two weekends in a row, so not only was our professional life a a hectic mess, home was anything but an oasis from the madness.

In an attempt to bring some normalcy, this weekend we became hermits, venturing out only for the necessities... i.e. coffee. It was a great break from from insanity...I mean, life. We slept in... We watched "24" and "The Apprentice" on DVD... All in all, nothing important was accomplished other than a clean house and folded laundry.

Although work won't let up much in the next few weeks, I function better knowing that all the dishes are clean or in the dishwasher, my bed is made and everything will be in its place when I get home. Let's just hope we can keep it that way. :)

L

1 comment:

Meredith said...

leah,
sos orry about your wek. if you egt in a bind again i'd be more thyan willing to come out there and help you all out for a while. maybe move out there and suprise ryan when he comes out for the summer. tons of fun right? well, i hope that this week is better for you all.