7.21.2005

Date Night

On Day 938...

A little over a year ago, my (then current, extremely nosy) boss asked if Drew and I still date, now that we are married. I hesitated for a moment, which gave him time to launch into a soapbox speach about how you need to date after you are married to "keep the passion going" and not to get bored with each other.

Well, what constitutes a date anyway? Is it just going out on a planned evening of dinner and a movie? What about just going out for coffee? Does it have to be planned? Can it be dinner at home?

Well, last night Drew and I searched and printed a list of houses for sale that were in our price range. Then we headed to starbucks to map out a plan of attack while drinking highly-addictivie coffe, and then we spend the majority of the evening driving all over Buncombe County looking at houses that were for sale (although I don't think you can call a double-wide a house, pictures are very decieving). We talked, laughed and had a great time.

Well, if he were to ask me the same question (which won't happen since I don't work for him anymore and I don't even live in the same state) I would tell him that for us, every night is a date night, and that in this state of life we will enjoy every one that we have together.

L

Stepping off Soapbox

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. :) Your boss was right, though. Dates ARE important. When it's just two of you, the lines are more blurred. But when you have kids, sometimes it's clearer.

My parents tried to go out at least once a week or twice a month when I was a teen. They could have Tracy and I watch the kids so they could go have quality time together.

Nick and I are pretty much where you and Drew are, I think. However...evenings when we sit in front of the tv or when he fiddles all night on his computer and I read a book, well, those aren't really dates. Sometimes we do have to make an effort to spend time together, doing something we BOTH want to do, or just chatting or whatever.

When he gets really busy with work, it's especially important to me. And with my school starting in the fall...well, I want to keep it important. This past year, our dance classes were great for "Dates."

Janice Phillips said...

I've loved watching my married friends fall even more in love with each other by dating even more after marriage than before. Keep up the great example, which won't be hard since I hear it's really fun!

Rachelle said...

It definitely gets more interesting with a child. But we still do everything as a family--even grocery shop. :) rlr