2.18.2005

Soap Box Moment

On Day 784...

As some of you may know, when we moved to NC I went from working full-time (plus some) to working part-time. This change, even though I love it, has come with more than its fair-share of comments from the general public/friends/acquaintances etc. Friends in DC, and around the US, when they found out we were moving immediately jumped to the conclusion that our goal was to move away and start a family ASAP. I am coming closer and closer to using some of Sarah M.'s suggestions to get people off your back like: "Oh, well I hate children" or "we have been trying for two years and haven't been able to" or "I have some from a previous relationship so we really don't want any more." All of them are rather tempting, but probably not the best thing to say when trying to make new friends. I have been civil to all people who ask, and even nice. However, that can only last so long. The comment that inspired today's blog came a few days ago when someone I had only met once before (two years ago at our wedding reception) made a comment about how working part-time meant that "oh, now you have time to pop out some babies!" I have nothing against the woman who said it, I am sure she meant it as a joke... but after about 239 similar jokes... it gets old. (My stubborn streak says, Fine, snub them all, don't ever have children! But as we all know, doing something because people expect the opposite is a stupid reason to do anything.) What bothered me about the statement was that she 1. doesn't know me well enough to joke about such things 2. implies that if I am not working full-time I don't have enough to do and 3. did I say that I planned to start a family right now? (the self-evident answer is: NO).

That said, I don't have any problem with having a family, in fact I plan to have one myself some day (surprise surprise). Children are a blessing from the Lord and when the time comes I know I will be happy about it and ready for that stage of my life, but I am enjoying the one I am in right now.

Also, the reason I decided to work part-time is that there are too many things I want/need to do, other than work a job 40 hours a week. I now have time to exercise every day, read books, take walks, keep up with friends & make new ones, keep a clean house and even cook more than mac & cheese. Isn't (or maybe a better word is shouldn't) life be about working to live instead of living to work? Am I so off base? (I do want to clarify that I have nothing against those who work full-time, I just can't do it all and remain sane. If you can... more power to you!)

All that to say that 1. I like working part-time, it allows me time to do things I enjoy and just live a more balanced life 2. don't ask me when we are going to start a family (I promise I will tell you when it does happen, but for now I am just taking one day at a time).

And now I shall step down from my soap box... at least for the moment.

L

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it sis-tah! Just for the record.. I didn't seriously recommend you tell people that, though it has been tempting, I agree. :) People seem to think that the only way you're living in God's will is if you're 1) married or looking for the one to marry and 2) having children. Talk about putting God in a box.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you're working part-time now. Kudos! I would totally do that if we could afford it.

I'm very lucky because I don't get the children-pressure from anyone but...well, my siblings. That's 'cuz they're so young that they think it would be neat to be aunts and uncles. My mother-in-law is soooo NOT ready to be a grandmother, and my mom totally understands that we're not ready yet.

I would be sooo annoyed if people kept asking me about when we were going to have kids, though.

Anonymous said...

Leah - When are you guys going to have kids!!! JEEZ, has it been long enough????? j/k


Mike H.