8.13.2010

Snap Crackle Pop

Ok, not really...

I have been taking Naomi to the chiropractor. When she was born she greatly favored looking to the right, and although it has been getting gradually better as she sits up and is looking around now, it wasn't totally gone and I wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue.

Secondly, since birth she has had an EXTREMELY sensitive gag reflex. Once she gagged it was all over, she would end up soaked, I would be soaked... it was no fun at all.

On the first visit he did something called muscle testing. Apparently because of the "mother-baby connection" he can push on her muscles while I hold her and test their strength by pushing on MY arm. Crazy. But it worked.

On the second visit, he decided to test for food allergies... and again did it through muscle testing. I held Naomi and he held the different food substances near her and then pushed down on my outstretched arm. Everything checked out fine until we got to dairy... I couldn't even keep my arm up, it was crazy. It was as if it had a boulder on it.

So, life is the Zetterholm house has changed. We are now a dairy free household (well almost, Ben still has milk). It hasn't been that bad... the three days we have been doing it... but it is definitely an adjustment! No milk, no yogurt and no cheese.

Now that I have had to give up caffeine, chocolate AND dairy for this little girl... there is probably a good chance I will some day hang it over her head. Sorry Naomi! :)

2 comments:

tanya said...

My friends had a similar thing with their newborn last year: their baby was allergic to dairy. For her, though, that meant much more than just giving up milk and cheese - she was also looking at ingredients in food and eliminating foodstuffs that have dairy byproducts (or dairy ingredients?). It was really intense. If you'd like, I could put you in touch with her if you wanted to hear how they did it...

Rachelle said...

Muscle-testing is awesome and how we determined Ben's first food allergies. Did he/she test milk and cheese separately? Because there are separate components....Though Ben was allergic to both. Eventually he got past that, just not soy, nuts, strawberries....Yeah. Naomi, we hope you have it better!
Is the gag reflex any better?