7.13.2011

New Hobby #2: Running

I know what you are thinking... What? She is crazy!?! Well, you would be right. And I am SOOOOOOOOOO far from being a real runner.... but one day at a time.

My sister-in-law Becki and I started walking 3 miles 3-4 times a week back in May. In June we decided "why not try a little jogging..." and a little bit after that we were addicted. So, we are now on week 5 of a 10 week program to get up to running 20 minutes... and then we will go another 10 weeks to go from 20-30 minutes... which is close to a 5k. I definitely would not have stuck with it this long if I didn't have a buddy, Becki has been awesome and I look forward to getting to hang out with her so much (6 hours a week :).... even if it means getting out of bed at 5:35am. I am still not to the point where I really enjoy the running part... but I am getting there... and I love the feeling of those last three cool-down walking laps. :)

When we started my father-in-law let me borrow his Runners Handbook:


It has been awesome and extremely helpful. It really is The Runner's Handbook... it walks you through EVERYTHING! There is a 40 page chapter on buying your first shoes!

I also liked the 10-week program the best out of all the ones I have read about. It is a "pyramid" so you run the most in the middle of your time, instead of just 1 minute walking - 3 running etc. As an example... this week we started week 5 which is 2-5-8-3 running, with 1 minute walk breaks in between.

It is amazing to see what your body can handle. I never thought i would get even to week 5. At the beginning we started with 1-1-2-2-1-1 with 2 minute walk breaks... and it really was all we could handle, but we have noticed that we recover faster, we can breathe easier etc. a little more each week.

I also got THIS BOOK from the library last week:




It has some great success stories (they did a 12-week program with a handful of people and then reported back on their results). It is written in a week by week format, so I have found it less helpful when it comes to finding information... espeicially since I am not exactly following THEIR program... but I have found a few helpful things.

So, in case you are like me... and one of the last people on the planet who ever thought about jogging/running... there are a few books for you to go to!

And for all your Ashevillians... we are planning to run the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Morning... and we would love to have a crowd join us! Let me know if you are planning on it!

(So, I guess now that I have posted about it, I had better stick with it. :-P)

3 comments:

tanya said...

Awesome on the running! I did Couch to 5K last fall and then spent this spring working up my endurance. I got to where I could run for 45 minutes solid. I don't run fast, but I run, and I love it. :) I'm in a transitional stage now, partially because I tore my IT band on my left knee a few weeks ago and it's still healing, but this fall I'll probably stick to running for 30 minutes 3 times a week.

K.M. Stockton said...

I hate running! But I love walking. Good luck with your new hobby. :)

Janice Phillips said...

SOO proud of ya'll!! I am training for my 2nd marathon (Nov 12) and loving seeing my body continue to respond to fitness. LOVELOVELOVE how I feel. Reminds me of the best part of high school: being an athlete. Keep on putting one step in front of the other!