I have a new hobby... I say "new" because it has been many years since I have really read a book. Sad but true. College ruined me. In middle school and high school I would read ALL THE TIME. When my parents built a house I begged and begged to have a light put in above my bed with a switch just above my head so that I didn't have to get up to turn the light off. Well, they agreed and I remember many many nights that I read until I heard my dad get up to go to work... then I would quickly turn my light out and go to bed. :-P In college I had to read so much that when I finished I didn't want to see a book... ever. So now... going on 10 years later (that's right folks, I am coming up on my 10 year college graduation reunion next year)... I am finally getting back into reading...
Here are the ones I have finished lately:
THE HELP: I really enjoyed this book. I read it with my sister-in-law Becki and we had a great time discussing it together. I thought the characters were well developed and the story engaging. I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out in August! For those of you who don't know the book follows three women who live in Jackson, Mississippi during the 60's... one white woman and two black women. The book is fiction but is loosely based on the author's life which made it all that more interesting. I did feel that the end was a little flat, but the author may have intended it that way... I haven't quite figured that out yet.
Here are the ones I have finished lately:
THE HELP: I really enjoyed this book. I read it with my sister-in-law Becki and we had a great time discussing it together. I thought the characters were well developed and the story engaging. I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out in August! For those of you who don't know the book follows three women who live in Jackson, Mississippi during the 60's... one white woman and two black women. The book is fiction but is loosely based on the author's life which made it all that more interesting. I did feel that the end was a little flat, but the author may have intended it that way... I haven't quite figured that out yet.
HUMILITY: My dad gave this book to me last year and I am just now getting around to reading it. It is small and not hard to read It was refreshing and definitely convicting. The main thing I took away from it, is that I need to be quick to see the Grace of Christ in others. And also to begin and end each day with Thankfulness and Thanking the ONE who gives me good gifts!! Read it!
HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY: So, I just finished these three books as well. They were sort of like a bad train wreck... horrible but you can't look away. I think I read all three in about 4 days. They are an easy read (they are considered juvenile fiction), and definitely entertaining. It has been a couple weeks since I finished and I am still trying to figure out what her point was, or if she had one. I felt a little like the characters didn't really change or develop and at the end I was left with a feeling of hopelessness. The movies are being filmed here in A'ville, so I am sure I will go to see them whenever they come out. But the jury is still out on this one...
TREASURING GOD IN YOUR TRADITIONS: I think this book gives you a great insight into making God the focus of your family traditions, and gave you a good look into the Piper family. It mainly talks about Christmas & Easter, but also covers Birthdays and a few others. The thing that I really took away from the book is that her goal for her children was to always "teach her children as much about Christ as they could possibly understand at their age." It is definitely worth the read, I am sure you will get something out of it. I did feel a little bit like she wasn't necessarily writing to an audience as much as she was recording her own thoughts, and some of her suggestions seemed a little too much (I love my husband and he is an amazing father and husband, but he isn't John Piper :). Read it and let me know what you think!
Currently on my bookshelf are: Prodigal God, Give Them Grace & Cutting for Stone. I will let you know what I think when I am done (because i know you want to know!)
3 comments:
I adore The Help. You should listen to the audio of it sometime, if you can - beautifully performed (that was my first experience of it, actually). It's very good, historically-speaking, too. also, I met the author in May when she came to STL on her book tour for the paperback release, so that was really, really cool.
I really enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogies. Didn't know they're being filmed in A'ville, but I've been looking forward to the films. :)
(For that matter....have you read the Twilight books? Probably not, but worth asking.) You might enjoy Kate Morton's novels - I just read The Distant Hours and thought it was good.
I liked The Help. Didn't know there was a moving coming out! No TV = outta the loop! I read The Hunger Games and stopped there. I couldn't get into it. I can't make it through Treasuring God in Your Traditions, but I was wanting to read it and give some meaning to Christmas now that John knows what's going on. I just started the introduction of Give Them Grace and I'm excited to read it. I'm looking forward to your thoughts!
i play games in free time..
=============
non voice projects
Post a Comment