After some of you read a recent post about our 100 Day Food Challenge/food allergies and wondered WHAT ARE WE EATING?
Well, with a husband that is out of town my motivation to cook is slim to none, but we do eat a lot of eggs, oatmeal (raisins, cinnamon, apples etc.) And I love my vitamix! Kiwi, banana, orange, carrot, tomato spinach smoothies that the kids suck down! And peanut butter/banana/almond milk smoothies for a treat or 1/3 cup nuts (or peanut butter) 1/3 c. honey and 1 c oats blended and then rolled in sesame seeds... yummy. One of my favorite foods is tacos... minus the cheese and sour cream of course... but corn tortillas or chips, lettuce/spinach, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, ground beef and black beans... and liberal amounts of salsa... so yummy! And here are a few recipes I have found!
Chickpea Salad (sort of like Tuna salad but chickpeas instead)
2 c garbonzo beans (mashed, but chucks are fine)
1 stalk celery (or more if you like the crunch like I do)
1/4 onion, finely chopped (or less if you don't like raw onion like I do :)
1 T mayo
1 T lemon juice
1 t dill
salt and pepper
I added a little more mayo, and added some of my mother-in-law's amazing cucumber sweet relish... great for a bite when you are hungry or Friday night dinner and a movie night with crackers or for me... corn cakes (like rice cakes).
Granola - this one has brown sugar but next time I make it I am going to add a little more honey instead
6 c rolled oats
1/2 brown sugar (I will leave this out next time)
3/4 c. wheat germ (I have substituted oat bran since we aren't doing wheat)
1/2 c coconut (unsweetened)
1/3 c seeds (sesame, sunflower, pumpkin... And I usually add a lot more than called for)
1. c nuts (I just chop up whatever I have at the time)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/3 c honey
1/2 t vanilla
raisins or crasins to taste
Heat oven to 350. Mix dry ingredients except oats then add to oats. Whisk together oil, honey and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and stir til coated. Spread in pan and bake stirring occasionally until golden (not brown :). Add raisins or crasins. Let cool and store!
I have just received two of my three cookbooks and have been pouring over them. The first is called Nourishing Traditions, all about being soaking grains, good and bad fats and all kinds of stuff like that, I will tell you more once I have read more! The second is The Cancer Fighting Kitchen. My mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer last fall and she got this book shortly after that. Although I am not doing it so much for the cancer fighting part, I have loved everything she has made of it. Using nothing but real ingredients with tons of flavor... everything from making broth and garbonzo bean patties to Baby Bok Choy with Yams & Ginger and Edamama Avocado Dip with Wasabi. I can't wait to plan my menu for next week with it! The same author has another book called One Bite At A Time that I may get soon as well. Lots of veges, beans, lentils, and spices... how can you go wrong? And the book that is coming is called The Natural Nine, it has been out of print for 25 years, but I found it on Amazon... (30 cents!) my mom had it growing up but had lost it, but I still remember her barley pancakes that were to die for! It is all about using whole grains... all kinds of fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment