It started last year, when my mother-in-law came to my house and picked from the blackberry bushes in the neighborhood. Well, because of all the snow this year etc. there are HUNDREDS of blackberry bushes this year. HUNDREDS... and they are TOTALLY FREE.
It started by going on walks to see if they were ready to pick. Then over the 4th of July my mother-in-law and I picked and made jam... well I was hooked. (I even have a favorite bush.)
The only downside is the nasty thorns. I usually give up and quit picking the 4th of 5th time I draw blood. My hands sting for days afterward and I have scabs all over my hands and feet... but it is so worth it!
I go picking every chance I get (read: Andrew watches the kids). So far, we have made 8 pints of jam, I have 4 gallons more in the freezer to make more jam, I have made 4 pies and 2 batches of syrup. And from what I pick this week I plan to freeze a bunch of pie filling and just plain blackberries for smoothies. Yum, yum, yum!!!

One of the pies I made... with a homemade (all butter) crust... so yummy!!
2 comments:
We spent Saturday picking blackberries and I thought of you! I made a bunch of yummy cobblers yesterday.
Oh. So. Jealous! Looks amazing!
Post a Comment